A massive 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal with devastating force less than 50 miles from the capital, Kathmandu causing tremors in northern India as well. According to the European Mediterranean Seismological Center, the epicenter of the earthquake was 83 kilometers (51.5 miles) north west of Kathmandu. A strong aftershock of 6.6 magnitude was recorded a little more than a half-hour afterward, along with at least 15 aftershocks of magnitude 4.5 or greater, the USGS reported.
Afterward, whole streets and squares in the nation’s capital and largest city were covered in rubble. The injured wound up being treated outside hospitals in chaotic scenes. Residents, terrorized by a seemingly endless series of aftershocks, huddled outdoors for safety.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EARTHQUAKE
Magnitude – Mw 7.9
Region – Nepal
Date time – 2015-04-25 06:11:26.3 UTC
Location – 28.28 N ; 84.79 E
Depth – 10 km
Distances – 83 km NW of Kathmandu, Nepal / pop: 1,442,271 / local time: 11:56:26.3 2015-04-25 & 75 km NE of Bharatpur, Nepal / pop: 107,157 /
Local time – 11:56:26.3 2015-04-25
• Historic Dharahara Tower Collapses In Nepal Earthquake and many reportedly trapped under rubbles
• Nepal National Emergency Operation Centre numbers: +977-142-001-05 +977-142-002-57
• Helpline number of the Indian Embassy in Nepal for queries regarding Nepal Earthquake: +977-985-110-7021 +977-985-113-5141
• IAF’s IL-76 aircraft en-route to Kathmandu: MoD on Nepal earthquake relief operations;
• 55 rescued Indians Landed In Delhi around 11.00 pm on 25th April 2015.
• 2nd batch of 103 rescued Indians landed around 12.16 AM on 26th April 2015.
• Around 465 rescued Indians so far including 3rd and 4th batch of rescued Indians.
• NDRF Chief OP Singh says that 5 NDRF teams have been sent to Bihar & UP and 10 teams have flown to Nepal.
• Ministry of Railways to send 4 lakh litres of Rail Neer in next four days to Nepal.
• Massive rescue operation in Kathmandu, emergency declared.
• Death toll:
• PTI says more than 1800 killed in Nepal.
• Death toll touches about 51 in India including Bihar 28, Uttar Pradesh 10, West Bengal 3
• Earthquake triggers Everest avalanche, more than 18 killed.
• 12 dead, many injured as Nepal quake jolts Tibet
• Google launches “Person Finder” for the Nepal earthquake victims.